Adult Speech Therapy in Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, and Sarasota, FL
Do you struggle with:
- Pronouncing words correctly?
- Expressing yourself clearly?
- Communicating effectively with others?
- Swallowing foods and beverages?
- Remembering things?
- Problem solving or making decisions?
- Thinking, speaking, and/or swallowing after a stroke, traumatic brain injury or other health condition?
If so, speech language therapy can be a valuable resource to help you find your voice again!
At Therapeutic Potentials, Inc., our team offers high quality, personalized services for adults with speech and language disorders from throughout the greater Sarasota community. We use best-practice techniques combined with compassionate, patient-centered care to help people develop essential skills and maximize their function and independence after an illness or injury.
What is Speech Language Therapy?
Speech language therapy is a branch of health care designed to help people improve their communication, swallowing function and cognitive function. A speech language pathologist (SLP), also called a speech therapist, is a licensed health professional who is trained to evaluate, diagnose and treat disorders affecting these essential skills and functions.
You’ll find speech therapists working in outpatient clinics and practices like ours, as well as in other environments such as hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities and school
Our Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, and Sarasota Speech Language Therapists can help people with:
- Apraxia (a neurological disorder that makes it difficult to make the correct movements needed for speech sounds)
- Aphasia (loss of ability to express or understand speech, typically due to some type of brain damage)
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Receptive Language (understanding what is being said)
- Expressive Language (verbal expression)
- Swallowing Function and Safety
- Fluency disorders (e.g., stuttering or stammering)
- Memory difficulties related to dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease
- Cognitive functions related to traumatic brain injuries following car accidents, cardiac arrest, near-drowning incidents, etc.
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Vocal Dysfunction
At TPI, our adult patients come to us from all walks of life. Some have lived with speech or language impairments since childhood, while others face new challenges following a recent illness, injury or medical diagnosis. No matter what your story is, we are here to help you discover significant improvements in your quality of life.
Speech Therapy at TPI: What to Expect
At TPI, your speech language therapy program begins with a thorough evaluation from one of our experienced speech language pathologists. During this initial evaluation, your SLP will:
- Discuss your current concerns and goals
- Review your medical and family history
- Examine your cognitive function, communication and/or swallowing function using a range of thoughtfully selected tests and techniques
Based on the results of your evaluation, your speech language pathologist will be able to design a comprehensive treatment plan that can address your current challenges and help you achieve your personal goals. Your goals—all those things that are important to YOU—will always come first. That’s part of our pledge to provide customized, patient-centered care!
All our adult speech therapy sessions are conducted in a private, one-on-one environment, giving you the space and comfort you need to truly focus. No need to worry about feeling distracted, embarrassed or rushed! Our team offers the time and attention necessary to help you see meaningful progress in sessions that you can actually look forward to.
Our speech language pathologists also work in close collaboration with other health care professionals involved in your care, including physical therapists, occupational therapists, your primary care provider and any other specialists. Many of the skills and tools that you’ll gain in speech therapy can enhance other areas of your life and have a positive impact on your overall confidence and well-being.
Are You An Adult Looking for a Speech Language Pathologist?
If you’re a patient or caregiver and are interested in learning more about adult speech therapy at TPI, call us at 941-758-3140 to schedule an initial evaluation. We offer three convenient locations, including Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch and Bradenton, FL. Contact us today!